1) Simple Sticky Post in WordPress
Easy and simply sticky post is the simplest method to show featured articles in your blog. Usual way for the new bloggers, yet it is simple, easy & efficient. With this way, you can reveal (simple image, post title & post excerpt) from the chosen category. Example as below. So how can we show this easy sticky post in our theme?
Follow these simple steps:
1) To show featured post just in the home page, you can utilize the code below.
[sourcecode language=”css”]<?php if(is_home() !is_paged()): ?>
<?php // Featured posts go here.
include (TEMPLATEPATH . “/featured.php”); ?>
2) Adding the new template where we can call the aspect post from. Just add the new template to your wordpress directory under the name ( featured.php ). This file will include the featured post elements (Numbers, Category, Style, etc..).
3) To add the code that shows the featured post content (featured post image – featured post title – excerpt – & the featured category). Look at the example code below.
[sourcecode language=”css”] <!– start Featured –>
<?php query_posts(“showposts=1&cat=6″); ?>
<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
<a href=”<?php the_permalink() ?>” rel=”bookmark” title=”Continue reading <?php the_title(); ?>”><img src=”<?php $values = get_post_custom_values(“Thumbnail”); echo $values; ?>” alt=”Continue reading <?php the_title(); ?>” /></a>
<h2><a href=”<?php the_permalink() ?>” rel=”bookmark” title=”Continue reading <?php the_title(); ?>”><?php the_title(); ?></a></h2>
<div><?php edit_post_link(‘Edit’, ”, ‘ |’); ?> Posted by <strong><?php the_author(); ?></strong> on <?php the_time(‘d M Y’); ?> under <?php the_category(‘, ‘) ?> | <?php comments_popup_link(’0 Comments’, ’1 Comment’, ‘% Comments’); ?>
<?php the_excerpt(); ?>
<?php endwhile; ?><!– end Featured –>[/sourcecode]
4) You can modify the number of sticky posts or featured posts from the code above; as well you can choose the category where you can call posts from.
I would think this the simplest method to show Featured article in WordPress blog.
2) Featured Content Gallery
Featured Content Gallery is the primary plug-in released for showing sliding aspect article in your wordpress blog. It makes an automated sliding gallery with newest featured articles added to your website. It is based on one sliding gallery with 2 arrows in the sides that permits visitors to rotate between different and various featured posts.
Finally, An extremely great back-end for consumer to change the choice of the sliding gallery (width, height, color, etc.).
1) Single category just supported.
2) Height, Width & Text Overlay values can be configured.
3) Can be showed on the WordPress Blog by utilizingone line php statement.
D13Slideshow plug-in is one more wordpress plug-in to show featured posts in your blog. It makes an animated slide-show of maximum of ten posts.
1) The capability to choose posts by drop-down or text entry.
2) Improved HTML & CSS.
3) Improved support for Internet Explorer.
4) J Post Slider
J- Post- slider plug-in designed to display feature post in fancy look in j-qurey box. Sliding images with Excerpted text to superimpose it in lots of different positions, Mouse-over stop the animation.
A influential back-end where you can modify the slider setting, colors, opacity, rotating time etc.
1) Selecting Number of featured articles.
2) Post order (latest, random, Oldest).
3) Images for animation box.
4) Rotating time and speed.
5) Post excerpt.
6) Choose the featured category.
5) Featured articles plug-in for WordPress (With Moo Tools)
This plug-in is different from the others as it includes dot like navigation where you can choose exact post instead of clicking next & previous.
It aspects a powerful Admin back-end where you can manage the following;
1) Number of featured articles to show.
2) The order in which they will appear.
3) The plug-in Always calls the first picture from the Featured post if there.
1) Add Featured Post part Title.
2) Limit the number of character For description.
3) Featured Articles Number to show.
4) The show order (Random, New, old).
5) Thumbs show.